Wedding Qualifying Connections
There are certain qualifying connections which entitle you to marry in a specific Anglican church.
A person has a Qualifying Connection with a parish if, that person:
– was baptised in the parish. (This does not apply where the baptism formed part
of a combined service of baptism or confirmation); or
– had his or her confirmation entered in a church register book of a church or
chapel in the parish; or
– has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least
6 months; or
– has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6
a Parent of that person has at any time during that person’s lifetime:
– had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
– habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
a Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.
In this guidance, a person seeking to establish a Qualifying Connection with a parish and to marry under the Measure on that basis is described as the “Applicant”.
You can find out what parish you live in from this link.
A copy of the Marriage Measure 2008, important guidance from the House of Bishops, and an electronic document containing a specimen welcome form for the use of parishes and couples can be found on the Church of England website